Previous Posts

Archives



The Wavy-knit-a-long Blog
Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Wavy in chart form:
http://knitchick.blog-city.com/read/984925.htm

Being that this will be my first chart, I got a little blurry eyed looking at it, but also noticed that there are only 40 stitches across on the chart, and the pattern is for 42 -that may also be where some of my confusion lies! I can't seem to figure out going one way for right side, and the other way for wrong side. I guess if there was a more distinct pattern I could recognize where I was a bit easier, but I'm lost in the knits and purls!



Blogger Kirsti said...
Hmm. I see 42 blocks in the pattern - the grids are divided into blocks of 5, then there's the extra 2 on the right hand end.

I'm going by my knowledge of the scarf pattern - and to me, this is more confusing than the written instructions - but it looks like you read the odd numbered rows from left to right. The scarf starts with a row of k3 p3 - so if the blank spaces are knit stitches, then row 1 starts at the left hand side.

On all the even rows, you knit the knits and purl the purls. From this pattern, it looks like you work from right to left, but (as per the instructions at the top), this time, a blank space is a purl stitch, and a square with a dot is a knit stitch. That's the opposite from before (and why I find it confusing!) So on row 2 of the pattern, you read from right to left. It starts with three dot-squares - so that's three knit stitches. Personally, I found it easier just to look at the stitches on my needle and knit the knits, purl the purls.

Hope this helps some. It's actually a lot less complicated than it sounds, especially once you start knitting it. Try using the pattern instructions along side the chart, to check that you're starting each row with the correct number of stitches.  

Blogger Stacey said...
I think that's what I'll do - reading the instructions didn't seem bad at all - I thought a chart may make it simpler, but maybe I was wrong! Not sure why I'm not getting the last 2 rows - they dropped off my page!  

Blogger Kirsti said...
The other thing that is really helpful to know (and I don't know how much knitting you've done before, so sorry if this is obvious) - is what a knit stitch, and what a purl stitch looks like. Knit stitches have kind of a "V" around them (I think in the Stitch'n'Bitch book, it's described as being like a little scarf). Purl stitches have a bump around them - more like a noose than a scarf.

When it says to "knit the knits and purl the purls" it means as the work is facing you. So - if you ended a row with purl 2 .. you turn it around, and hey presto, those stitches you purled on row 5 are now looking like knit stitches for row 6 .. so go ahead and knit them. Often, the purl bumps are easier to make out, particularly if you look further along the row.. then count back in your groups!  

Anonymous how to knit said...
Nice blog Blogger. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for knitting instructions related information and found your site. I have a knitting instructions site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think
and enjoy!  

Anonymous knitting instructions said...
I enjoyed reading some of your posts Blogger. I was looking for free knitting patterns related information and found your blog. I have a free knitting patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)  

Anonymous free knitting patterns said...
Hi Blogger, very unique blog you have! I was looking for how to knit related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a how to knit site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit and enjoy!  

Anonymous yarn said...
Hi there Blogger, I was just browsing, looking for knitting instructions related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a knitting instructions site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!  

Anonymous how to knit said...
Hi Blogger. I was looking for free knitting patterns related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a free knitting patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Check it out when you can :)  

Anonymous how to knit said...
Hi Blogger, very unique blog you have! I was looking for knitting instructions related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a knitting instructions site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit and enjoy!  

Anonymous yarn said...
Fantastic blog you've got here Blogger, I was looking for free knitting patterns related information and found your site. I have a free knitting patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!  

Anonymous free knitting patterns said...
Nice blog Blogger. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for leg warmer patterns related information and found your site. I have a leg warmer patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think
and enjoy!  

Anonymous knitting instructions said...
Fantastic blog you've got here Blogger, I was looking for free knitting patterns related information and found your site. I have a free knitting patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Stop by and check it out when you can. Enjoy!  

Anonymous yarn said...
I enjoyed reading some of your posts Blogger. I was looking for leg warmer patterns related information and found your blog. I have a leg warmer patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Come and check it out if you get time :-)  

Anonymous knitting instructions said...
Hi there Blogger, I was just browsing, looking for knittimg for kids related information and found your blog. Very Nice! I have a knittimg for kids site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit, check it out and enjoy!  

Anonymous how to knit said...
Hi Blogger, very unique blog you have! I was looking for knittimg for kids related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a knittimg for kids site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit and enjoy!  

Anonymous knitting instructions said...
Nice blog Blogger. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for how to knit related information and found your site. I have a how to knit site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think
and enjoy!  

Anonymous knitting instructions said...
Hi Blogger, very unique blog you have! I was looking for yarn related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a yarn site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit and enjoy!  

Anonymous knittimg for kids said...
Hi Blogger, very unique blog you have! I was looking for knitting instructions related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a knitting instructions site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit and enjoy!  

Anonymous knitting instructions said...
Hi Blogger. I was looking for yarn related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a yarn site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Check it out when you can :)  

Anonymous Victoria said...
Nice blog ##NAME##. Your posts were interesting reading. I was looking for free knitting patterns realted information and found your site. I have a free knitting patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, magazines, machines and more. Please try and visit it, see what you think and enjoy! : )  

Anonymous knittimg for kids said...
Hi Blogger. I was looking for how to knit related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a how to knit site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Check it out when you can :)
If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.  

Anonymous knittimg for kids said...
Hi Blogger, very unique blog you have! I was looking for how to knit related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a how to knit site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Please visit and enjoy!

If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Nice site!
[url=http://wubnfikv.com/tjfh/hmsx.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://vgwgkzic.com/ntcr/vekk.html]Cool site[/url]  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Great work!
http://wubnfikv.com/tjfh/hmsx.html | http://ntttalni.com/kgzm/erfz.html  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates